Friday, November 26, 2010

I was SUPER grateful yesterday

So Thanksgiving was nice.

I have long been one of those people that like holidays not for the traditions or for the meaning of the holiday but rather for the time off, good sales and usually time with family. I always felt like and knew that the holidays should mean more but they did not. I was not thankful at Thanksgiving time and though I tried very hard it was difficult to connect Christ and what he stood for to Christmas.

This year though Thanksgiving meant something to me. I woke up grateful. I woke up content and at dinner as I looked around at the table I was a bit overwhelmed by my family, by the growth I have experienced over the last year, and by how wonderful life really is. This gratitude was heartwarming. This gratitude made me feel “the spirit”. I have never been this grateful before.

As her Thanksgiving Day status a Post-Mo friend had put this: “Atheism, not religion, has made me realize how precious life is. I used to take it for granted before.” On a personal level as that statement applies to me I agree with her, but that is not to say that there are not others who religion really helps. There are religious people that were also sincerely grateful yesterday.

Perhaps this year was different not specifically because of the lack of religion and belief in my life but simply because of “loss”. I think anytime we go through any sort of personal crisis or any sort of major loss the result is gratitude for what is left. For some people that lose or trauma can be illness, death of loved ones, overcoming adversity, loss of religion... I think the key is loss of some kind. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm kind of barging in your blog site, but wanted to say life is good. We miss a lot when when don't stop to smell the mountain air and appreciate each moment with people you love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Smoking Joe! I don't mind people barging in. I love comments so you are welcome! I agree. Moments with people we love are the best moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "This year though Thanksgiving meant something to me. I woke up grateful. I woke up content and at dinner as I looked around at the table I was a bit overwhelmed by my family, by the growth I have experienced over the last year, and by how wonderful life really is. This gratitude was heartwarming. This gratitude made me feel “the spirit”. I have never been this grateful before."

    Love this, Kiley. Very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kiley, like you, I am appreciating life a bit more each day. I totally took it for granted when I had religion also. Why is that? I think we reflect more deeply when we don't have someone dictating how to live. We learn on our own what is good, what is bad, and it's a sense of self-awareness that makes us appreciate life. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I think we reflect more deeply when we don't have someone dictating how to live."

    I really agree with this. In so many ways each decision is now weighed and considered even more carefully than before.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, allow for anonymous comments, and almost always respond. Feel free to say something if you feel so inclined or you can email me at ibamosaserreinas@gmail.com.